Sunday, August 11, 2013

Info about site and plants

I am growing loofah gourds in my garden. These gourds will become fibrous and harden as they mature. The fibrous part of the plant will then become a sponge. These sponges are used for cleaning and scrubbing in the shower. They don't require a lot of time on your part, but you do have to have a lot of patience. It is a slow growing plant that takes about 150-200 days of growth. It is a long season plant. Best grow in USDA zones 6 or 7. Some people are able to grow them in zones 4 and 5 by starting them late in the winter season indoors first before transferring them outside in the spring.
Loofah gourds are grown on a vine. The vines have been known to grow 25 to 30 in length. Over time the vines will grow and produce yellow flowers. The female buds will then grow and produce fruit. This fruit will be the gourd. When they are fully developed and dry out you will be able to pick, peel, and clean then. This will happen late in the season.
Even though it is not the right time to start growing loofah gourds, i have started some. I want to give my readers something to follow while growing these plants. I will start another batch of plants when the season is right. All of the photos are going to be the same from planting and growing process.
If you have any questions please feel free to comment or email me. I will be happy to answer any of them.
Please check out my new page.....WHAT IS GROWING NOW TO SEE THE NEW CROP.

No comments:

Post a Comment